Statistics and highlights
Please see my facebook profile for more regular updates: Facebook
LAST LOCATION (updated: 26th November 2013) :
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua, Central America
Ushuaia, Argentina, South America.
HIGHLIGHTS SO FAR:
1. ALASKA – MEXICAN BORDER:
- SURVIVING A BEAR ATTACK on the Dalton Highway (day 8 in Alaska).
- Self-rescue in Mount Denali /McKinley National Park (highest mountain in North America).
- Camping and cycling long distances in mountains and snow in temperatures well below freezing for months on end.
- Crossing the United States from Banff to the Mexican border down the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route in wilderness and solitude on dirt roads down some of the highest passes and longest / high alpine deserts in North America (very late in the year); 7 to 8 hour days of solid biking time without a break for weeks on end in order to beat the inevitable winter.
- Sailing across the Sea of Cortez (250 miles, 4 days, 4 hour shifts) in a small boat with a broken engine and sail; limping harzardously into a busy port.
- Cacti, hot days and camping in the deserts of Baja California
- Surfing along the coast of Mexico; ruins of Montealban near Oaxaca city; Chiapas: waterfalls of Aguacero; 1km high canyon walls of Cañón del Sumidero; camping at the edge of La Sima de los Cotorras (massive sinkhole); waterfalls of Cascades El Chiflón (Comitán, México).
3. CENTRAL AMERICA: Climbing 17 volcanoes; hit by lightning; Mayan ruins of Tikal; pools and caving in Semuc Champey; studying Spanish in Quetzaltenango for 4 weeks.