Statistics and highlights
LAST LOCATION (updated: 9th May 2013) :
Juchitán de Zaragoza, Oaxaca, Mexico.12400 km.
Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina by 31 Dec 2013. 14000 km to go.
HIGHLIGHTS SO FAR:
- SURVIVING A BEAR ATTACK on the Dalton Highway (day 8 in Alaska).
- Self-rescue in Mount Denali National Park (highest mountain in North America).
- Camping and cycling vast distances in mountains and snow in temperatures well below freezing for months on end.
- Crossing the United States from Banff to the Mexican border in wilderness and solitude on dirt roads down some of the highest passes and longest / high alpine deserts in North America (very late in the year), requiring 7 to 8 hour days of solid biking time without a break for weeks on end in order to beat the inevitable winter.
- Sailing across the treacherous Sea of Cortez (250 miles, 4 days, 4 hour shifts) in a small boat with a broken engine and sail; limping harzardously into a busy port.
- Experiencing astonishing landscapes and geography of incomparable beauty.
- Dealing with and enjoying extended periods of solitude in remote wilderness areas.
- Treasuring random encounters with a vast and diverse range of interesting people and their cultures, histories, buildings and foods.